History

History

The history of Aoyama Gakuin Women's Junior College, which remains a pioneer in the education of women

History of Aoyama Gakuin

Dora E. Schoonmaker
Dora E. Schoonmaker
Founder of the Girls' Elementary School
Female missionary from the Methodist Episcopal Church in the U.S

Aoyama Gakuin traces its origin back to three schools founded by missionaries of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States at the beginning of the Meiji Era, the Girls' Elementary School founded by Dora E. Schoonmaker, Kokyo Gakusha Boys' School founded by Julius Soper, and the Methodist Mission Seminary founded by Robert S. Maclay.

The three schools were renamed and relocated several times and found their way to Aoyama after merging to establish Tokyo Anglo-Japanese College and Tokyo Anglo-Japanese Girls' School. The two schools were then renamed as Aoyama Gakuin and Aoyama Jogakuin. During the reconstruction efforts in the wake of the Great Kanto earthquake in 1923, the schools merged, and Aoyama Gakuin was founded as a co-ed institution in 1927. After its establishment, Aoyama Gakuin opened a kindergarten, elementary school, junior high school, high school, university, women's junior college, and graduate school to expand its education and research environment.

In 1982, a new campus was established in Atsugi to enhance the education of freshmen and sophomores in the liberal arts course at Aoyama Gakuin University.
In 2003, Aoyama Gakuin closed the Atsugi and Setagaya Campuses and opened the Sagamihara Campus, providing a two-campus system based in Aoyama and Sagamihara.

History of Aoyama Gakuin Women's Junior College

Nagahide Mukaibou Founding President of Aoyama Gakuin Woman's Junior College

Nagahide Mukaibou
Founding President of Aoyama Gakuin Women's Junior College

School building of Kaigan Girls' School (reconstructed in 1881)

School building of Kaigan Girls' School (reconstructed in 1881)

School building of Aoyama Gakuin Women's Junior College (constructed in 1949)

School building of Aoyama Gakuin Women's Junior College (constructed in 1949)

Physical education class (Showa 30s)

Physical education class (Showa 30s)

Aoyama Gakuin Women's Junior College traces its origin to one of the original schools of Aoyama Gakuin, the Girls' Elementary School founded 137 years ago. After several transitions over the years in which it was renamed and relocated, it was established in 1950 with two departments, the Literature Department (Department of Japanese Literature and English Literature) and the Home Economics Department. The Department of Child Education was subsequently added in 1962, the Department of Liberal Arts was added in 1969, and the Department of Art was added in 1989, providing a system of six departments. Also, in April 2006, the Department of Childhood Studies was opened to replace the Department of Child Education and offer a three-year education program.

In April 2012, Aoyama Gakuin Women's Junior College established the Department of Contemporary Liberal Arts, which combined the five existing departments into one department, to create a system of two departments in conjunction with the Department of Childhood Studies.

Aoyama Gakuin Women's Junior College History figure